Gifts That Make an Impact Now
You Can See the Impact of Gifts You Make Today
With your support, Rail Passengers Association will work tirelessly to protect our nation’s railways and advocate for a more connected America.
Check out some of the programs gifts you make today will impact and learn how to support programs like these:
Recommend a grant now from your donor-advised fund
Making a gift through your Donor-advised Fund (DAF) gives you the flexibility with your funds and has tax benefits. Recommend a grant for the Rail Passengers Association from your DAF using the link below. Simply start typing in your fund provider name and the system will prompt you through the process.
IRA Charitable Rollover
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to the Rail Passengers Association. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure the American Rail passenger has an advocate and a voice. Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to the Rail Passengers Association.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to the Rail Passengers Association so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 72 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution* from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support a cause you care about such as expanding and improving intercity-rail transportation, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
Memorial or Tribute Gift
When you give a memorial or tribute gift for Rail Passengers Association to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration, and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and advancing the expansion and improvements of the nation’s railways.
Gifts of Securities
You can use stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to support our shared vision. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Silver Rail Society
If you are truly intent on providing a better tomorrow for America’s future passengers, consider taking your place in the Silver Rail Society. These generous donors have committed to giving at least $1,000 per year to ensure that the Rail Passengers Association can continue to educate Americans on the importance of passenger rail.
Some benefits of joining the society are:
- Recognition at our annual Spring and Fall Advocacy Gatherings (With consent)
- Name recognition on our website (With consent)
- Receive regular personal briefings on Rail Passenger Association initiatives and congressional policy updates
- Individual interaction with the Rail Passengers Association Chairman and President/CEO
- Annual recognition in the Rail Passengers Association Newsletter (With consent)
- Invitation to attend an annual Major Benefactor Reception held each spring in Washington, D.C.
Contact us if you would like to join the Silver Rail Society or learn more.
Donate by Cash or check
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support the Rail Passengers Association. You benefit from a charitable tax credit while taking positive action to help Rail Passengers Association work on your behalf. You can make your gift online or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
Rail Passengers Association
1200 G St. NW, Suite 240
Washington, DC 20005
If you’re sending a check or money order, please let us know if you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
The Rail Passengers Association (RPA) is the public identity of the National Association of Railroad Passengers, Inc. (NARP), which is an IRS-designated 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable organization. Donations made to the Rail Passengers Association (RPA) &/or National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP) are tax deductible, with the exception of any Amtrak Guest Rewards Point received, which have a taxable value of 2.5 cents per point.
Your Giving Toolkit
The content found on this site is general in nature and intended to be used for informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon as legal, tax, accounting or other professional advice. To determine how a gift or estate planning decision might affect your particular circumstances, it is expressly recommended that you consult an attorney, financial advisor or other qualified professional.